Today is my birthday, and I couldn’t be more grateful for my life and the grace that has been extended to me thus far. It is also one of the most self reflective periods of the year for me. Some, maybe most, people set goals, make new resolutions and plans at the beginning of the year. For me, my birthday month is when I feel the actual need to reassess my life and my choices and subsequently plan my next move. It is also a great time for me to be grateful for everything in my life.
I have learnt so much and grown by leaps and bounds in my journey though self discovery and awareness, and my life is just beginning.
1. Self Love – One of the biggest things I have learnt is to love myself unconditionally and to always put myself first, no matter what (not in a selfish way). Growing up in a big family, finding my spot was not easy in many ways, so I did my best at the time, and sometimes it was not good enough. I am a pretty confident person on the outside but, on the inside I am just insecure and needy like everyone else, something I felt had been misunderstood by many people. In recent years, I have grown so much and learnt to love myself, and I now know that I am enough for whoever wants to accept me, just the way I am. This is not just in relationships, but in every.single.aspect of my life.
2. Kindness – Being kind to people goes a long way, especially to people who don’t expect it or don’t deserve my kindness. It directly affects the way I feel and the way people around me feel and behave towards me. Be Kind, always.
3. Work Hard – I always had a job since I was young, well, my early 20s, but I’m not sure I worked hard. The past couple of years I have come to learn hard work, doing whatever it takes, and how it has a direct impact on results that you are trying to achieve. I now know that that I have to give more than is expected of me to achieve the results I dream of. Nothing will be handed to me and I am entitled to nothing, not even my life, I must make the effort to breathe in and out, as easy as it sounds.
4. My Happiness Is My Choice – My happiness is a choice I make every single day, I control what I feel and how I let circumstances affect me. My generation grew up with the idea of a nice job, a husband, a nice house and kids will make you happy. And quickly I have realized that you can have all these things and still be gravely unhappy. Doing whatever makes you happy, makes you happy, not what people want you to do.
5. Everything Has Its Own Time – There is no rush to achieve things your age mates are achieving, or have whatever you think you should be having at this point in your life. We live in a time where teenagers are buying mansions and becoming millionaires, and it is ok, it is their time. Some people know exactly what they want to do with their lives at 15 years old, others find their purpose at 40 years old, both are just in time because it is their personal journey. Work hard and be true to yourself and everything will fall into place. There are many times when things have come my way so unexpectedly, and in hindsight, it usually is at the right time, I was not ready earlier.
6. Meaningful Relationships Are Everything – In my teens and early 20s I spent a lot of my time and energy worrying about friends, some of whom did not care about me or were also busy worrying about other petty things, who knows. In real life matters, I have learnt to build meaningful relationships, with people who genuinely care and believe in me, and weed out the ones that drain my energy, even if they are family. It is better for me to have a couple of good reliable friends, who can be in the family, than to have many people around me who do not have my interests at heart.
What are some of your life lessons?